Sunday, January 4, 2015

"Entertainment" Today

Over winter break, I watched a lot of television. And by television, I mean I watched Grey's Anatomy on Netflix for hours at a time. Before Grey's, I had never watched a hospital based television show in my life, but now I could see myself watching another one once I finish it. This is why, when I was scanning the news over the weekend, an article about NY Med (a medical documentary television show filmed in New York Presbyterian Hospital in New York City) caught my eye. 

NY Med is a series and follow-up of sister shows like Hopkins and Boston Med, all real-life footage and stories about patients that enter their hospitals. It aired in 2012 and has had two seasons so far. The show has had mixed reviews, with medical groups worrying about patients privacy. There have been many laws and rules set by hospitals to protect their patients, however the AMA (American Medical Association) has worried that shows like NY Med potentially exploit patients and their families who aren't typically in the position to make decisions on whether or not they are allowed to be filmed. Terence Wrong, executive producer of NY Med, believes that the show inspires potential future doctors and educates the public on doctor's work. Like I said before, I have witnessed many surgeries and traumas before on the screen, but that doesn't make me more inclined to be a surgeon at all. 

A cameraman recording a surgery for NY Med
The article tells the story of a family who was featured on NY Med without their consent. Mark Chanko, Anita Chanko's husband, died in 2011 when hit by a garbage truck while crossing the street. Anita and her family were immediately rushed to NY Presbyterian Hospital where he had been brought to say their goodbyes. Little did they know that he was being filmed during his traumatic death. When Anita was watching the show months later, she immediately recognized her husbands voice and knew it was his story they were showing, without asking her if they were allowed to film. 

The family suffered greatly after hearing this news and having to relive Mark's death, so they filed complaints against the hospital and television show. In 2013, New York ruled that the hospital had violated Chanko's rights, but when Chanko's family sued the show, doctor, and hospital, they were dismissed. In court, the show claimed that since NY Med is "produced by it's news division", it's protected by the first amendment. The NY Presbyterian hospital argued that the state did not have any privacy rights against this case, and that Chanko's privacy rights ended when he passed. So basically when our loved ones die they lose all their rights? I don't think thats right at all. 

In my opinion, I think it was wrong to exploit Mark Chanko and his family on national television without their consent. Even though they blurred out his face and made him "unrecognizable", the show should have asked before airing. I think this also dives deeper into our countries privacy laws. We should feel safe and protected with regards to our privacy, but I think this show may expose patients when they are in critical conditions and possibly can't make these decisions. They shouldn't have to wonder if someone is filming them during surgery; I know I wouldn't want someone filming my intestines. And who wants to see that? Why do we want to watch people suffering in hospitals? This relates back to my previous blog post about America's obsession with death and murder; it seems like that is all we hear and watch on the news. How is this show considered entertainment?


No comments:

Post a Comment